22.8.10

Sunday Post

Mornin' y'all. Hope the weekends are good - mine sure is. Two opening shifts in a row, which translates into getting to work at 4:30 AM and then having the entire store to myself (almost) and baking for ages. There is little more satisfying, to me, than wandering out onto the floor with my arms almost overflowing with fresh, still-hot loaves.

Got taken to Madrona Farm for the first time yesterday, too. Eden, Lisi and I headed out for some blackberries after I got off work, and we were settling in for some good free berries until Farmer Dave told us we had to do some work in exchange for berry pickin': we had to play a couple characters in a Scooby-Doo-themed mystery hunt for a kids' birthday party. Awesome. (except Lisi had to leave and missed out - harsh). Eden and I went back to the berries afterwards and picked close to a dozen tubs/jars/containers/etc full, as well as ate enough along the way to give me some pretty intense stomach gripes. Went to my new place (henceforth Prior House) to freeze my berries - we ain't got room in the one at my current residence. Hung out with new roomie #1 (Vanessa) and Eden and cooked up some corn, then eventually split and had a wonderfully leisurely ride back to Cadboro Bay. I already adore the new place; it's right between downtown and school, and the neighbourhood is beautiful for biking - there are quite a few streets that stretch fair distances with very calm traffic or even no traffic and a couple of these gorgeous roads lead to equally gorgeous places (cough Fernwood Square cough cough). Suffice to say, I'm havin' a little bit of trouble waiting for Wednesday to arrive so I can get back to Chilliwack to put the last of my stuff in the car to bring back.

Joy. :)

Probably more, but I'm addled by lack of sleep, not to mention there's still probably fermenting blackberries somewhere in my body fuckin' with my brain (not cool when you've been up since 3 AM). Ahwell. "For I have learned, whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content."














Different kind of treat. I keep coming back to Thrice's "The Alchemy Index" (despite... uncomfortable mental associations), and although it's never really gotten heavy playing time from me, it's truly a fantastic album(s?). It was released in two halves, "Alchemy Index I & II" and "III & IV"; the four albums are then "Fire," "Water," "Air" and "Earth." Obviously concepts and themes factor into each, but what's astounding to me is how much musical ground Thrice covers between the four - each album is pretty damn distinct from the others. Finally - personal favourite - each album closes with a short sonnet piece. Good ol' fourteen line sonnets like we learned in English class, but - the best part - despite each one tying into its' album's theme they all close with a common melody on the ending couplet.

The following is the Air sonnet, "Silver Wings;" here's a link to the song. Tied with "Child of Dust" from Earth for my favourite, so I'll leave it up to you to find that one. Again, highly recommend looking up at least the sonnets, and if you like what you hear, definitely hunt down the rest of the albums. Have a good Sunday!

From tender years you took me for granted,
But still I deigned to wander through your lungs.
While you were sleeping soundly in your bed,
(Your drapes were silver wings, your shutters flung)
I drew the poison from the summer's sting,
And eased the fire out of your fevered skin.
I moved in you and stirred your soul to sing;
And if you'd let me I would move again.
I've danced 'tween sunlit strands of lover's hair;
Helped form the final words before your death.
I've pitied you and plied your sails with air;
Gave blessing when you rose upon my breath.
And after all of this I am amazed,
That I am cursed far more than I am praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment