12.8.10

Digital Post

Today is a good day.

Specifically, the last couple days have been beyond-Good days. I am now working full-time in a bakery, and I have long-term living arrangements set up in a very lovely suite with a pair of very lovely ladies who I've met only once, and it is right by the workplace of another extremely lovely lady whom I know quite well - I look forward to after-work hanging out. This was all established by Tuesday.

Wednesday, I joined my lovely bandmate and uber-friend Eden on a trip up to Port Alberni to visit her family. Got up at 6:30 AM, biked down to her place, walked to the train station and had a three-and-a-half hour ride to Parksville where I met her sister and the fucking cutest baby I have ever seen. It's ridiculous. I think my brain actually melted a little bit. Suffice to say, I now adore babies an incredible amount. We stopped at their cousin's place on the way to Port Alberni; it was pretty much a miniature farm in a wooded lot that had a huge blueberry bush field - we spent ages out in the sun picking berries then sat down in the shade for some guitar and baby noises.

Finally left, finally got to Port Alberni (driving through Cathedral Grove on the way; good God I love it there - I went through four times total over the day-and-a-half), spent more time out in the sun (blackberries this time). By this point I felt more than a little sick from all the berries. We were joined by their friend Mike (or Nick? I can't remember, laaaame) and we went back through Cathedral Grove to Cameron Lake for a great swim and subsequent ass-freeze; truth be told, the water was actually quite nice, it was just really weird to be in water that wasn't salt water, and it was just really fucking cold when we got out. Headed back home (Cathedral Grove number 3 - swooooon) and made some extremely bitching veggie kebabs and rice salad and washed it all down with the divine brew Phillips Skookum. From-scratch caramel popcorn followed and we all finally piled off to bed (lil' Seth was dead tired without an afternoon nap).

Woke up early this morning, helped find tomatoes in the garden, then went for a fantastic walk with Eden along a creek trail in town. Forests are magical. This was again fortified when Eden gave me a ride back to Parksville for the train when we went through Cathedral Grove AGAIN and actually stopped this time.



This was actually from last August, but I remembered where I'd taken it from and I pointed it out when we walked past. Suffice to say, I love the West Coast more than I could ever probably express with words.

Finally pulled ourselves away from the Hall of Trees and made it to Parksville where we had a fairly surreal song trade sitting on the steps of an old-style train station, and then I got on the train and was back in Victoria three hours later.

Long breakdown, no justice given. Finest two days I've had in a very long time (and it was even better because I've got a job now - I didn't feel like a slacker once while contentedly sticking my head out of the window of a speeding car to feel the wind), and I soundly love my Home, my Friend (and her nephew - ohmygodsqueeeee) and my Life, and I hope that everyone I know can feel something like this at least now and then (preferably more often, but apparently I'm unusually good at being content).


And because it's Thursday, here's an anti-climactic and unrelated (but still pretty good - I mean, come on, look at that Zelda picture) Digital Post. See y'all on Sunday (or sooner).








No comments:

Post a Comment