20.12.10

Why We Play

What do the following people have in common?







They (in order of appearance: Pat M'Gonigle, Ollie Swain, Jenny Ritter, Elise Boeur and Meg Iredale, and Ryan, Taylor, and Adam from Fish & Bird) are all musicians from Victoria whom I've seen at a variety of places and for whom I have nothing but awe and the utmost respect.

I was making music with all of them until almost 4 AM last night at Adam's house in Fairfield.

Adam invited us (the band) to a big family party/gathering at his house after the show on Saturday, and when I stepped into their house, I have never felt so much character, love, and music in one place before. Ages ranged from me to folks easily in their sixties. Musicians ranged from casual to a quick who's who of young Victoria folk giants. A jam session of traditionals and originals opened in the middle of the house, and it kept going until a friend and I were the last to leave at 4 AM after helping Adam and his dad clean up.

Before a couple days ago, I never would've imagined that I would be up 'til the wee hours of the morning playing and laughing with musicians like that. I can keep pinching myself. I can keep feeling my finger calluses and blisters. I can say the words "fucking," "amazing," and "magical" until the cows come home. It is for times like that I play music, and it is simply not possible for me to convey how I felt while being with them all.

I don't know how to close this because I'm STILL smiling from last night, so I will suggest you do what I'm doing right now and just listen to all their music (names are linked after the photos). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment