4.7.10

Independence Day

I posted this video as the Post treat, but then I wanted it to have its own post because it's important to me and should be important to everyone else.

Then I realized that it's Independence Day today, and I can't think of any other day that would be better to watch this.

I've always said that Mark Hoppus made me want to learn bass, but Tim Commerford made me want to get good at it. I've been drilling my finger callouses back so I can play my bass without getting blisters, which basically means Rage Against The Machine binges (I'm pretty sure the neighbours don't know what to think - one night I'm listening to Corbin Murdoch and then the next I'm blasting RATM). Anyway, if you aren't familiar with Rage, you're either 10 or have spent your whole life listening to lame music. This is not a debateable fact. Rage is, in many opinions, the most outspoken and aggressive "political" band, hands down. Lyrics, performances (or lack thereof), organizational support, the list can go on and on about how Rage not only talked louder than any other group, but also walked their talk. Here's a full, high-quality video of their performance at the 2000 Democratic National Convention in LA. Catch it on Youtube for its full-screen, high-def glory. It deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment