8.5.10

Sunday Post

Somehow I didn't post anything this week, which strikes me as odd because I've got several ideas and corresponding picture folders sitting around and a ton of free time. Ahwell. Clearly, I was too busy biking and enjoying the surprisingly good weather; the front steps of my house is amazing all day - the area right in front of the door is shady all afternoon with a lovely breeze and amazing views down the valley and the south mountains. I've spent hours just lounging there, playing guitar or mandolin and reading.

Anyway. First things first. Happy Mother's Day! I don't think I will be able to give this day and my mother the true appreciation I know she deserves until I have a kid of my own, but until then I'll do what I can to make it a particularly good day for the mama.


And now the pictures. Not many this week, but oh lordy is the music rich.












Thursday was one of the best music nights I've had in a long time. Not one, but THREE incredibly fantastic discoveries. Laura Marling, Mumford & Sons, and Noah And The Whale. New news, old news, I neither know nor care. What I DO know is that all of them incredible and I am so happy to have found 'em. I also know that there's no way that I can narrow all of them down to one video each, so you get a whole bunch. Woohoo! See y'all soon. (PS. They'll just be linked 'cause all of Laura's have disabled embedding)

All three groups are from London, and all of them also have extensive artistic and personal connections with each other. Noah And The Whale formed with Laura doing background vocals (and some producing, I believe); her and Charlie Fink from NATW were also in a relationship for some time. However, the two of them split, Laura left the group and is now in a relationship with Marcus Mumford, the frontman for Mumford & Sons; he also does backing work with her on albums and shows. Fun fact as well: NATW's fantastic album The First Days Of Spring is supposedly written pretty much all about his relationship with Laura - the lyrics seem pretty straightforward in that sense a lot (bloody spectacular album with an accompanying film they wrote and produced too). Anyway, backstories aside, they are all incredibly fantastic and I wish I could hurl all their songs at you. I can't though, so y'all have to do your own homework in regards to finding more of their stuff - I know I still will be.

It was actually Laura Marling that made me decide to give y'all more than one apiece. I actually not decide which song to give y'all because everything of hers' is so fantastic. Here are her songs "New Romantic", "Goodbye England" and "Night Terror". It's even more amazing when you remember that she isn't even 20 yet in these songs. Fantastic.

I'm incredibly crushed about Mumford & Sons. I found them Thursday night and discovered they're playing in Vancouver at the end of the month. I also then discovered that the show is sold out. Tears of sadness were imagined. I kind of love them more than a bit. Here's "The Cave" and "Little Lion Man".

Finally, Noah And The Whale. My friend Eden actually showed me them quite a while ago, but it was somewhat offhanded and I.... kinda forgot. Anyway, rediscovery was a delight, suffice to say. I particularly love their First Days Of Spring album, both because it's incredible and also because the movie they made to accompany the music is just as touching and beautiful. Here's "Shape of My Heart" and "Blue Skies" (I really, really love the beard on the guy with the goggles; I also kinda really want some goggles like that for MY bike). And, as promised, here is the full video for The First Days Of Spring. Make sure you've got a nice quilt and maybe some tea or something. It's a good close for a day.


Whew lawdy that was a lot of content. Have a good week and I'll see you before the weekend comes around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment