19.5.10

Grundtvig's Church

I don't remember if this has come up before, but I really, really like Google Earth. Like, it's almost kind of weird how much time I spend on it. Looking at different cities, seeing pictures from all over the world, and of course wiki-surfing. I also recently discovered that you can run Flight Simulator in GE and coupling it with Explosions In The Sky gives a whole new meaning to the term "surreal."

Anyway, as par for the course with my recent lookings into European bike culture, I was flying through Copenhagen this evening and found a spectacular church. It's called Grundtvig's Church and it's about five and a half kilometers from the central harbour port of the city. I'm not really that big a fan of the building exterior, but good God do I love the interior and sanctuary.








I think part of the reason why I immediately loved the interior as much as I did is because, as I noticed while looking at the pictures, there doesn't appear to be any ornamentation. Literally. The only thing I could see that implied a faith was a single crucifix in the center of the candles. In my opinion, this is how it should be. Almost every church I've been is almost smothered in trappings - paintings, pictures, massive ornaments, crucifixes and latin engravings left right and center (Christ Church in Victoria, I love you but you're a little over the top sometimes). Grundtvigs is just completely bare: there are no ornaments, no effigies, even no colours. It's just a complete, unassuming, unassertive openness. You're completely free to make whatever you will of the space, and I think that that's what a church really should do. You should be able to walk in and see God how YOU feel It, openly and free from alterior influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment