5.3.10

Bike Pirates; Budget/tax/climate rant

This pretty much sums up my week/lack of posts.



I'd include a picture of me playing bass if I felt like finding one cause that's basically been it for me so far. I've been biking like no one's business and it's awesome. If anyone reads this that happened to go to the No HST On Bikes rally wednesday morning I'm sure they will agree it was fantastic.

(Not-so) quick note about this, because I like to use this to, y'know, speak my mind to the internet. I'm no economist, I'm a goddamned music major. I don't know all the ins and outs of the whole government revenue system. What I do know is that their revenue comes from taxes. Sure, they get some money elsewhere, but by and large all the money that the government has comes from taxes. I'm pissed that the BC government lied about HST implementation during their election campaign, but I'm going to have to say I'm more pissed about massive funding and job cuts to, ah, just about everything because of poor revenues.
I didn't go to this rally because I don't want to pay more taxes (which I don't really, but I will be okay with because it's necessary), I went because taxing bikes is fucking stupid. HST is getting tacked onto not just bikes, but all things bike-related: helmets, maintenance, parts, etc. This is going to be a huge DISincentive for people to ride bikes instead of driving cars, especially because of the second thing that completely pissed me off. HST IS NOT GOING TO BE ATTACHED TO CARS OR GAS. This is fucking stupid. Campbell rolls front page of The Globe And Mail saying that strong action is needed against climate change and then turns around and does the opposite in his provincial budget.

This is why I'm pissed off about the situation. BC NEEDS TAXES. It sucks, but that's the only way we're going to get money to the government so that they don't have to keep axing huge chunks out of health, education, arts and just about everything else. However, taxing transportation means and lifestyles that are both sustainable AND healthy while exempting gas/oil and the companies that produce them is just a whole different kind of stupid (it'd be a NEW kind of stupid too, except the the BC government completely obliterated Arts and sports funding a few months ago). Here's the news story on Victoria A Channel News if you want to learn more about it.


*gasp*. So yeah, there's that. Been biking like a mother, finally got a bean grinder, and there are four weeks of school left. Most likely this is it for the week before the Sunday Post. HOWEVER, this is because I'm busy as hell for the next while. UVic Orchestra concert tonight at 8 PM (UVic auditorium), student tickets are only $5 which is an amazing deal. Second, my band West My Friend is playing at Solstice Cafe tomorrow night around 7 with Petit Objet A, and I/we'd really love it if you all came out for the evening. Suggested $5 donation for cover (cause it does actually cost money to book Solstice), which is again a pretty good deal because you're in for a solid two hours of music. Post on Sunday, then it's papers and practicing ahoy.

Have good Fridays and weekends everyone.


PS. So how 'bout the ENTIRE COUNTRY going completely apeshit on Sunday? Best game I've ever seen. I have never before seen Canadians so proud to be who we are, either, and I wish that we could all feel like that all the time - I know I do.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I would be truly honored if you gave your poetic advice on my blogs of poetry and follow them if you like.

    http://thehumanicana.blogspot.com/

    http://humanicanagold.blogspot.com/

    If you found my poetry interesting I would love it if you followed my blog of Idealism and justice.

    http://terrandaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete